Cuban reality in 61 years of Revolution
The results of the Cuban health care system in the 61 years of Revolution are a reason of pride and renewed commitment.
As of year-end 2019, the following data illustrate why in Cuba Health is a human right conquered and ensured despite of the enormous adversities of the inhuman Blockade imposed by the United States:
- A total of 8 098 new Higher Education professionals graduated in different fields of the Medical Sciences. Cuba has more than 100 000 practicing doctors to date with a 9 doctors per 100 inhabitant ratio.
- The Family Doctor and Nurse Program, conceived and envisioned by Commander in Chief Fidel Castro has been strengthened and the number of medical appointments increased to a total of 89 million.
- Dental and odonatological appointments totaled 32 000 500, which represents 500 000 more than the previous year. The number of maxillo-facial surgery continued to increase.
- Even at the nation´s most difficult moments, Cuba continued to rank among the 35 countries with the lowest infant mortality rate and among the first in the region (5 deaths per every 1000 live births).
- Survival rate for children under the age 5 is 99,3%. This indicator has exceeded 99 % for the last 20 years.
- As of year-end 2019 a total of 510 cochlear implants have been made since the program inception.
- Vaccination coverage exceeds 98%, protecting the children against 13 different diseases.
- The Worlds Health Organization ratified in September 2019 Cuba as a country free of HIV and syphilis transmission from the mother to the child. In 2015 Cuba was certified as the first country in the world to achieve this result.