Athens, February 28. A virtual event, in English and Spanish, was held for the International Day of Struggle against US and NATO Foreign Military Bases, organized by the World Peace Council and the Coalition against US Military Bases. The event was a continuation of the International Conference Against United States / NATO Military Bases, held from November 16 to 18, 2018 in Dublin, Ireland, where February 23, day of the anniversary of the Illegal occupation of Guantanamo, Cuba for the US, was declared as the International Day of Action against US and NATO military bases.
The virtual event was moderated by Bahman Azad. Participated:
- On Latin America and the Caribbean: Carolus Wimmer, president, International Committee, Solidarity and Struggle for Peace (COSI-Venezuela)
- On Europe and the EU: Iraklis Tsavdaridis, Executive Secretary, World Peace Council (WPC)
- On the Middle East: Dr. Akel Taqz, President, Palestinian Peace and Solidarity Committee / WPC Regional Coordinator for the Middle East
- On Asia / Pacific: Bimal Rathnayake, President of the Sri Lanka Peace and Solidarity Organization (PASOS) / Member of Parliament of Sri Lanka
- On Africa: Margaret Kimberley, Coordinating Committee Member, Black Alliance for Peace / Senior Columnist, Black Agenda Report
- On US Foreign Policy: Roger Harris, Executive Committee Member, US Peace Council / Board Member, Task Force on the Americas
- Special guest speaker: Ambassador Zelmys Dominguez Cortina representing the Cuban Movement for Peace and the Sovereignty of the Peoples (MOVPAZ).
After the presentations, an interesting debate was held based on questions from the online public.
The case of the North American base in Guantanamo against the will of the people and government of Cuba was highlighted, a unique case that led to the cycle of meetings against the military bases. The unjust economic, commercial and financial blockade of the United States against Cuba was condemned and the closure of the military bases of the United States and NATO in the world was requested, as well as the need for the fight against imperialism and for peace.
Link: Seminario Virtual para el Día Internacional de Acción contra las bases militares de EE.UU. y la OTAN - YouTube